Well, the block set nicely so I took out the scroll saw. I also refitted the safety screen because I have to be less personally dangerous these days. There’s someone who it matters to now.
Anyway, some filing and filling and sanding and some more cutting later and I ended up with a set of parts.
All made of plum wood. The hole in the block on the table top is centred, the block itself is not. That’s because I split so many blocks trying to drill that hole that I gave up and took the best one. It’s under the table, so hardly anyone will notice.
The filler patch is Milliput. I did worry that it might not take woodstain too well but again it’s underneath so not too much of an issue. In the end it worked okay.
Glueing all the parts together with a dangerously fast-setting glue that says ‘avoid skin contact’ in small print I should have read first, I ended up with a nicely level-topped table that is two inches (about 5 cm) high. And I managed not to glue myself to it.
The arms of the rat chairs will fit under it if needed.
Next I have to make a pack of cards, two whisky glasses and an ashtray. And nag the baker again for a photo of rats in chairs – this time with a table.
Fortunately I have another day off tomorrow. On target for a possible quick end to this project.
Which would be a nice change…